Life is such an interesting, yet amazing thing and every day I try to be so so thankful for the life I have. But, it's so hard. I'm trying to 'find myself' and I feel like I know myself so well, but at the same time.. I don't feel 100% confident with who I am. How do you do it/learn to accept who you are? I try not to get caught up in social media/life but it's so difficult. How do you learn to be yourself and avoid negative people/pressure from entering your life? How do you know what paths to take and which ones to avoid; When sometimes the bad ones seem so fun? GAHHH it's such an amazing roller coaster but HELP PLEASE.
My girl Brooke,
To say that this world is a freaky place is the understatement of the century. It’s mortifying. It’s crawl in a hole and cry kind of freaky, check all your closets, sleep with the night light on kind of freaky. I’m 21 years old and I’m still afraid to walk into my basement by myself. But to walk through this place and be true to yourself when every single voice around is telling you to constantly change something, that, my girl, is the biggest challenge.
For me to sit here and tell you that I have the answers would make me one big ole hypocrite. I more than anyone have been trying to solve this equation since I could stand. I don’t have the answer yet, but I do know these small things;
1. Being complacent and uninterested will never make you cool. In fact, get rid of the word cool in your vocabulary all together, it’s a made up definition and should only be used when you’re talking about being cold in the winter.
2. Blending into the background will always be easier, but nothing will come from it. It hurts to make yourself seen, but you’ll never get anywhere if you keep laying in your comfy little safety net.
3. Grabbing hold of a passion and running after it with all the ridiculous, exaggerated dreams that come along with it will carry you miles further than you will ever get if you just keep sitting on your couch.
4. Loving people instead of fighting them is the fastest way to love yourself. Our relationships with others are a direct reflection of how we feel about ourselves. When you learn to love other people without an agenda, loving yourself without one too will be quick to follow.
5. Learn to be loud without making noise. Get comfortable with stretching your arms as wide as you can without bumping into things. Become big with the way you live, not with the things you say or the spaces you fill.
6. The times you feel the most lonely are the times you most desperately need yourself. Learn to enjoy your own company.
7. You don’t have to be friends with everyone. You’re not going to be everyone’s cup of tea or pot of coffee- Be unrelentingly kind to people always, but don’t spread yourself thin. Invest more of yourself into relationships that really matter.
We're all just figuring it out, I don't have a better answer than the next person. I can tell you, my dear Brooke, the mere fact that you can acknowledge the confusion is a big flashing sign that you've got more answers than you think.